Sunday 19 September 2010

IZ (www.wcmt.org.uk)

Iz’s obvious distress becomes more intense out of the desperation of his situation. He wants to leave the gang, but if he can’t get money for his rent, he may have to reconsider his position. Outsiders to his situation would say it’s easy. The reality is far from true. Ted tries to calm the situation with seasoned wisdom and care. Iz listens, but the pain of this moment silences any responses he may give. I look at Iz’s puffed up eyes, clenched fists, and body rocking, and felt compelled to talk to him. As was the norm in these situations Ted had to vouch for me, as a way of brokering any conversation I needed to have. Trust is the most important value for gang members. So the sight of a complete stranger like me creates a situation where that trust must be earned.

The key to talking to guys like Iz is ‘keeping it real’. Don’t lie, keep your ego locked away, look the person straight in the eyes, and don’t make false promises. So I kept it real. I shared some of my own experiences of facing difficulties, as a way of connecting to his distress. A short while later, Iz smiles, nods, and begins to open up to me. I discover he has a passion for drawing. I give him a copy of my latest illustrated children’s book, and urge him to change his focus by re-connecting to his passion. For a few minutes Iz is no longer a gang member. He is a young man dreaming of a new future, escaping into the world of his imagination. It’s a breakthrough moment. Ted smiles at me and praises Iz for his interaction with me. The frown lines have gone, Iz looks less stressed, and any thoughts about gang life have disappeared. A call comes through. Iz retreats back to his gang demeanour. Iz touches my fist, exits the car, and ushers Ted into the apartment. I’m alone again.

It feels like it’s a long time, even though it’s a matter of minutes. Ted and Iz emerge, embrace each other. It’s time to go. I get out the car and thank Iz for his openness and vulnerability. We touch fists, I walk off. Iz calls me back and asks me for some contact details. I give him a card. We leave.Ted gets a text from Iz. He thanks Ted for introducing me to him. Ted smiles and tells me that my actions have not only assisted Iz, but I have averted a possible street robbery, based on his current situation. I felt good. Reality is you can’t save everyone, but you can bring some relief to a difficult situation. Small steps make a big one.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment