Tuesday 31 August 2010

Talk Radio (www.wcmt.org.uk)

After a long drive, I arrived at the radio station where I was going to take part in Brother Bey’s ‘Breaking the Cycle’, a talk radio platform for ex-offenders. Brother Bey is powerful, controversial, and very much in control of both the mixing desk and his callers. The topic for discussion is about the role of academics in terms of solving problems for ex-offenders. Brother Bey’s caller reaffirms his views and commitment to their cause. This provides the contrast for his views that argue that academics per se are not at fault, but the system that excludes and bars access to meaningful services for those who have been incarcerated. Each caller has a story to tell, combined with some imparted wisdom to leave other listeners with. Brother’s Bey’s nephew delivers two powerful raps, whilst others debate and question each other’s points of view. As I sit here waiting to be interviewed I feel quite nervous as the subject matter and tone of the debate is not light listening. The callers have serious experiences and I’m here to address some pressing issues that Brother Bey wants answers to.

Brother Bey tells me he has little interest in my academic studies and has invited me on the show to discuss my work in prison and community. I feel passionate about what I’m doing and where I meander off into my own brand of rhetoric, Brother Bey reigns me in, by quoting Malcolm ‘X’, who said ‘Make it plain’. When I didn’t make it plain, I was quickly corrected. Even though the time went quick I realised that this medium was one of the few avenues that ex-offenders had to both air their views, as well as having some of their pain validated by a host who not only understood their pain, but has guided it to a new position of healing numerous times. I felt good that I could be of some assistance, but I also realised that my presence was a mere token gesture. I left the show pleased with my input, and saw the potential of using talk radio in a context that would suit the type of work I’m currently doing. Yet again another learning experience.

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bro, I am intrigued with your experience of "talk radio". I thought that you would be 'sitting at the dock of the bay' in Baltimore. However, it appears that you are sitting in the dock of the Bey! But seriously, keep up the good work! Nuff love.

    ReplyDelete