Sunday 15 August 2010

To be or not to be (www.wcmt.org.uk)

Today's thought is told through one of my favourite folktales.

Marcus was sitting with Sankofa the wise man.


'Sankofa, is it better to starve and be free or is it better to live life s a slave and have all the comforts in the world'  asked Marcus.

Sankofa smiled, and replied, 'A hungry wolf, which had been prowling through the forest in search of food, met a dog outside a farm gate.'

'You seem to be doing well. How do you keep so fat and sleek in wintertime? I am stronger than you, yet I am starving.' said the wolf.

'I earn my keep,' said the dog. 'I bark whenever strangers come to the gate, and at night I roam about the farm to keep away thieves. In return I get a snug kennel and food every day. The servants give me tidbits too, and sometimes my master throws me a bone from his own plate. It's a fine life. Why don't you try it?'

'I will indeed,' said the wolf. 'It seems I've been a fool to live so long in the snow and rain.' ‘So the two set off to the farmhouse together. As they went along the wolf noticed a sore place around the dog's neck and asked what it was.

'Oh, that is the mark of the chain they use to fasten me up in the daytime. They think I'm restless, and it's true I can't help tugging on it.' replied the dog

'But if you want to go somewhere, will they let you?' asked the wolf.

'Why, no,' said the dog. 'Not during the day.' finished the dog

'So that is the price you pay for your fine house and food!' exclaimed the wolf, and he turned and ran back into the forest.

Sankofa left Marcus to reflect on what he had said

No comments:

Post a Comment